Sunday 28 March 2010

Gimme Shelter - A tough 24m

"If I don't get some shelter, Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away..."


After a long day in London on Wednesday there was no chance to run. Thursday I was at a Harriers trip to the Manchester Velodrome which was 90 minutes of good cardio activity with some full on lactic threshold efforts. Friday I did a little 6 mile loosener, and yesterday I rested before my penultimate long run today.


I tried to simulate race day conditions by getting up at the same sort of time I plan to in London, and do similar things as I would on the day (which is exactly 4 weeks time). Looking out on a bright Spring morning appeared fantastic conditions to run in - if it wasn't for the 30mph winds howling down the dale.


I knew it was going to be tough, but I chose to head off down wind and down hill (slightly) on my benchmark route to Arthington church. 


Things didn't really feel good from about 6m, and then realised that my food strategy had not worked out as I had to stop for a little unscheduled stop.  By the time I got to the turn point at 12m, I was feeling the worst I've felt on any of these runs, and then turning into the headwind was heart-wrenching, knowing I had 12 miles of this ahead.
But I'd expected this, and today was as much a mental toughener as anything else. I seem to have lost my Garmin data, but the second half was painfully slow, with the last 4 being down at 9-10 minute mile pace. I was desperate to stop but willed myself on.


I was hoping that several months of long runs, and recently a few weeks off would have helped me today - but it was possibly my worst long run. Why? Maybe the velodrome on Thursday? I hadn't enough nutrition and was slightly dehydrated? The wind? Just a bad day?


I'm not worried about it although on today's performance the chance of a sub-3 seems a long way off (I'm still clinging on to my 1-21 Brass Monkey back in Jan as evidence I can).


The good news is that my problem groin felt fine - well it's aching no more than the rest of my legs are.
A few steady miles this week, with some marathon pace work on Wednesday. Then a full dress rehearsal next weekend, and another chance to get my nutrition strategy right.


I know I can still do this, but as easily it could all go wrong. A 3-20+ time? - it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry, Paul - it's best to have a bad one in training rather than on the day. You've not tapered for this one, remember - come 25/4 you'll be full of glycogen and raring to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you'll be prepared for a windy day in London. What if it's a scorcher though?!

    ReplyDelete