Sunday 24 January 2010

Brass Monkey Half Marathon



The Brass Monkey half today, out and back from the York Racecouse along generally flat roads.

It is a big PB race locally, as there are few races as flat as this.

Despite having a slight cold over the last few days (triggered by the Solstice ride no doubt), I woke up feeling fine and decided to keep with my race plan.

My plan was to go out fast and hard, aiming for 80mins and seeing how long I could hang on for.

My first mile was too fast at about 5-50, but then steadied into a pace of around 6-05 - 6-10. Unfortunately I couldn't keep this up, but finished in a chip time of 1-21-22. This was a PB by over 30s compared to my Lancaster time a few months ago so I was very pleased.

There were some other great runs from my clubmates - Andy from Embsay was just behind me and Steve C just ahead, both with PBs. But Henry's time (just a few seconds behind me) was the run of the day, winning the V55 category and setting a new Club record.

Jon S was even further ahead, and Justin broke 80 mins for the first time.

All in all a good day.

I must admit though that compared to last week's XC, where I finished way ahead of Justin and Henry, and alongside a runner who today ran 1-20-29, I'm confused where that performance came from?

Still, all good learning lessons for London!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul. great run today and thanks for keeping me on my toes the last couple of miles.....for you to get a PB in a half with all the long runs you have been doing sets you up nicely for London shows things are all on track. PS agree with Henry's been the run of the day he went off even quicker than you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul

    Well done with your PB. You should be confident now of beating the 3hours for the marathon....although I wouldn't fancy another 13 miles myself.

    ReplyDelete