Thursday 28 January 2010

Predicting Marathon times (again)

Had an easy 4 miler today - still not feeling great with this headcold, but had the need to just do "something". Slightly worried about not being able to manage the long run on Saturday, but hopefully two more night's rest will sort me out.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear my question discussed on "Marathon Talk" podcast today (episode3)!

They guys gave me re-assurance that with my half-marathon time from the Brass Monkey, then I should be able to do maybe 2-58. They were using a double-it-plus-ten-percent formula.

For my 81 mins means 178 mins (ie 2:58). They said this was a conservative estimate and this ties in with other calculations I've done.

For those who have not listened before, this podcast is a really interesting mix of running talk - perfect to fill one of my commutes to work.

They guys' website is at http://www.marathontalk.com/, the podcasts can be downloaded free from there or at itunes, and they have a great facebook site at http://www.facebook.com/marathontalk.

1 comment:

  1. I'm suitably snotty too, Paul - happy to set off tomorrow and see how we go. With a bit of luck a cold might slow you down a bit!!

    ReplyDelete