Monday 15 March 2010

What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger

...which was said by Friedrich Nietzsche and slightly more lyrically by Kanye West.

I have been nursing my sore groin, but managed a pacey 13miler with Henry H on Friday.

As planned I missed the Trimpell 20 yesterday, and was hoping to get in a long steady one instead. Unfortunately events (well life in general) got in the way and I didn't get a chance to get out.

So with a visit to London again planned this week, and the Northern 12 Stage at the weekend, my best chance for a long run was a convenient route, but one I have so far avoided.

From work in central Leeds back home to Ilkley . Mostly along a main A-road, in the rush hour, slightly uphill overall, and with some long drags. And today into a harrowing headwind for the whole route.

So it was with some trepidation that I set off. I have been suffering a little lack of motivation recently, but today I thought it was a chance to really tackle this tough route - as much for mental training as anything else.

And interestingly I ran the 18 miles in an ave 7.44 min/mile - and felt quite strong, even towards the end. Groin felt fine - I shortened my stride slightly which seems to take the stress off. I however kept my cadence at marathon pace, and with the wind and hills (and pretty poor preparation), felt like I was working at Marathon effort.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's going well, paul - and the drop in mojo is quite normal - you're nearly there now, before you know it it'll be time for taper madness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hey hey - you could be back in the fight!

    London's looking good.

    Stay safe,

    Simon.

    ReplyDelete