Sunday 4 April 2010

24m in 3 hrs - my last (and best) long run

Today, with just 3 weeks to go before my big day in London, I have ran my last long run.

After last Sunday's tortuous 24-miler, I was worried that today would be even harder, especially as the calm weather that I had hoped for had not transpired.

But I set off as a full "dress rehearsal" running in my Ilkley "red and green", with even my race socks on. I more or less set off to the very minute I will pass the start line in London in 3 weeks time, so for lots of reasons was a great chance to test my preparation and execution.

The great news is that it was by far my best run - I managed the 24miles feeling generally strong the whole way (well at least I could run for the last 4 rather than shuffle). I hit the target I had set myself of doing these 24 miles in under 3 hours, and I made it with 28secs to spare, averaging about 7:28 per mile. I have also now achieved my "20 over 20".

Garmin details here

I had no unscheduled pitstops, so feel like I am getting closer to the right combination of food the day before and in the morning.

Today I also took some gels, which really seemed to make the difference. I had three Torq gels (45g sachets), and had no problems carrying or consuming (I safety pinned the tops to the top/front of my shorts). I didn't have enough  water to drink with them, and on the sprint in to the finish felt slight nauseous. But with better water intake on the day, I think I will be fine. I took mine at 6, 12 and 18 mile today. I think for the London I will carry 5 and take at 4,8,12,16 and 20m instead.

I probably should have taken gels on all my previous long runs, but didn't for two reasons. I slightly subscribe to the Greg McMillan view that not being fully carb-loaded for a Long Run will increase your body's ability to metabolise fat - a useful training exercise.  Also, I can't afford to consume £10+ of gels and drinks on my long runs!

The gels helped the back half of the run, and this showed in my mile splits at:
07:06, 07:05, 06:52, 06:58, 07:14, 07:04, 07:20, 07:09, 07:07, 07:22, 07:22, 07:19, 07:36, 07:27, 07:27, 07:23, 07:35, 07:42, 07:56, 08:06, 07:33, 07:45, 07:57, 07:41





I have plotted these mile splits against my ave HR for each split on the graph.  Interesting. Normally there is an indirect correlation between my min/mile pace and HR (ie as my HR increases I run faster and my my min/mile pace decreases). I have started buidling a model which shows this.

But on this run, as I tired, my my min/mile pace increased (I got slower), but my HR increased. The question for London whether I can squeeze an extra 38secs per mile to get my 26.1m done in 3 hours.

We'll know in 3 weeks time!

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Paul - must be a great feeling to have the last one in the bag, and good pacing too. Now the trick is to taper mileage but not intensity - lots of MP stuff now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you out beyond Otley and you were looking good as I was heading North in the car.
    Those long runs alone are tough, running in London will be mentally easier.
    So as Andy says good taper now, nothing silly and pace yourself right on the day (the hardest bit I guess).

    ReplyDelete