Sunday 25 October 2009

Barden Bridge and back and then some

Woke this morning to high winds and squally rain, but I'd planned a long run so was keen to keep on track. I've not felt great over the last few days - not sure if it is the swine flu that is gripping Ilkley at the moment, an after-effect from last weeks Fell relay, or just general fatigue after a few hard weeks.

I decided to not worry too much about speed and distance, so set off west up the Wharfe rather than east down it like I did a fortnight ago. The run to Arthington (eastwards) I did was flat and consistent, but would mean I would have to return into a headwind, which thought might be mentally tough.

Conversely, going out towards Barden would mean some help on the way back, even though it is considerably more undulating.

The other reason for heading west is that the run through the Bolton Abbey estate involves a glorious set of trails. And at the moment, with the Autumn in full glory and the trees an amazing array of red, orange, yellow and green, I knew it would inspire me.

As luck would have it, I bumped into fellow Harrier Geoff Howard, as he was parking his car at the Cavendish, and suggested we run together. So Geoff kept me company along to Barden Bridge, over the swollen Wharfe, and back along the tough side to Bolton Bridge, where I carried on home and Geoff turned right to head back to the Cavendish.

Geoff is a runner of the highest calibre. He is a V65 runner and a class above his peers on the fell (he beat me in the Tour of Pendle). He came 5th in the world masters V65 this year which is truly world-class. He is also a gent and great company - and we had a lovely chat including some good advice for my marathon prep. Thanks Geoff!

On returning to Ilkley, I decided to push on down the Wharfe and finally crossed to the Ilkley side at the iron bridge near Ben Rhydding. I finally returned home after about 2 hrs 53, and about 21.5 miles (ave HR 148).

Although relatively slow for me, I managed alomost the same time on my feet as I will need in London and it was a further advance in my training.

My next long run (> 15m) is now not planned for 4 weeks time, as I have a couple of key races between now and then.

Garmin details at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/17085557

No comments:

Post a Comment