Tuesday 8 December 2009

20 over 20 - My training aim

Had a tempo run with R yesterday of about 6 miles, running a nice negative split and feeling very comfortable.

I felt slightly sniffly today so opted out of a run at lunch or after work. Hopefully will be 100% for the track tomorrow.

My groin discomfort is still there, being triggered from getting up from a train seat last night. It is no problem when I run though, so don't feel a lengthy lay off is required - especially when non-running activity seems to trouble it most.

I have been thinking about my training targets over the coming months. I'm still vexing over how many and how long my long runs should be. You hear things like "you need to run 5 long runs that total 100 miles", or "Don't do more than a couple of 22 milers".

After my 24 mile run a week and a half ago, I'm convinced more and more that it is only the very long runs - in excess of 20 miles - that really matter. Your body is going through such a different set of physiological processes after 20 miles that both body and mind need the chance to experience it. This experience will allow different mitigation options (eg nutrition) and mental coping strategies for race day. There should also be a general improvement as my body strengthens itself to adjust to these new demands.

I've therefore set myself the target of "20 over 20" for my training. I need to run an accumulated 20 miles in training. But only miles in excess of 20 miles count. So my two 21.5 milers and my 24 miler give me 6 in the bag already. I just need to do 14 more.

I will probably do 3 or 4 more 24 milers between now and my last long run at the end of March.

2 comments:

  1. That is some serious training. I use the 5x20 rule and usual make a couple of those 21 but 24 is long. Personally, I don't think my knees would take it and I'd be out injured more than not. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! At first I thought you were intending to do 20 20milers! That would be barking...

    ReplyDelete