Saturday 28 November 2009

24 mile long run - welcome to The Wall

Took the opportunity whilst the family were at the school Christmas Fair this afternoon for my long run. Not used to running during the afternoon, but I enjoyed some bright sunshine and beautiful blue skies.

I have been focussed on this long run all week, so had a few easy days since Wednesday's long track session. I've also started to work on race-eve and race-day prep, so tried eating and drinking in preparation during the previous 24 hours.

As I'd set off at about 1.30, I skipped lunch, so started off a little hungry, although I ate well last night and had a high-carb breakfast at about 9am.

So I felt good on the way out, and in fact was struggling to keep my pace down. Whenever I looked at my watch I was doing close to 7min/mile rather than the 7:20 I was aiming for.

I took the flat route down through Burley, Otley, Pool and on towards Arthington. I was feeling good and chose to press on past the "Arthington" sign where I got to last time. I went a further 1.25 miles, and turned as my watch said 12 miles by the parish church in Arthington.

It's interesting to run through this part of Wharfedale - it seems such a long way away from Ilkley! I felt like I was a stones-throw from Armscliffe cragg, and got a great view of the Viaduct.

And then the return to Ilkley.

I felt tired but ok on the return to Pool, but then started to tire on the trek back to Otley. I needed to stop in Otley for a call of nature, and I thought this would help but probably made me feel worse (although it had to be done).

By Burley (about 20 miles) I was getting tired, and then the slog back home was getting harder and harder step by step.

I was slowing terribly, as I hit the symptoms of what cyclists call "bonking" and I'd known several times before on long rides. But on a bike you can ease off the effort level, choose an easier gear and reduce your speed. This gives a chance to eat and refuel.

When running the effort level of even keeping yourself upright is enormous, let alone trying to keep moving forwards.

I carried with me 750ml of Lucozade Sport. Some additional calories but not nearly enough. I think after today that I may have to carry some gels as well - both on long training runs but perhaps for the race itself. I'll find out where/when the feed stations are on race-day and try and work out what I need.

So all in all very happy. 24 miles in about 3hrs 4mins. The first half was about 1hr25, with the second therefore about 15 mins slower. HR was low throughout at about 150 (Garmin Details).

My legs were very sore when I got back, and I felt really empty. Feel a lot better now though.

A few easy days planned.

2 comments:

  1. Great session, Paul - amazing to be doing those sort of miles this early. It should give you loads of confidence that you'll be plenty strong enough come April. I used to carry Lucozade sachets and a couple of gels on long runs, and certainly felt the benefit. Lucozade's every 5 miles or so at London from memory, water every mile pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and another thought - d'you think that not eating since breakfast contributed to your bonk? Assuming you really felt if 2hrs after starting that's going to be 6+hrs since you ate. I know I'd expect to have some bother if I didn't eat for that long and tried to run a long way.

    ReplyDelete