Sunday 14 February 2010

24 miler to Arthington and back

Friday saw me finish the working week with 2 x 2.5 mile runs. I had to take the car into the workshop for some maintenance, so had to then get the few miles to the office. I was hoping to go longer on at least one of the journeys, but just didn't have it in me.

I decided to rest Saturday (well, at least not run), and so prepare for today's long 'un.

It was a trip down to Arthington Church again, the now familiar route. I'd been hoping that I could achieve a consistent pace for today's run of about 7:30 min/mile, as this was the long run pace suggested by Daniel's VDOT data.

I must admit that by mile 4 I was already feeling tired - my legs suffering from what for me has been a big mileage week. I thought of turning and heading home then, but decided that would psychologically be a disastrous move, so ploughed ahead.

Got to the turn point at 12m in 01:29:26, ave pace 07:26, with ave HR of 149 (75% max), so spot on.

I started slowing from about 15m, but unlike the 22-miler a fortnight ago with Andy, today I managed to stay running rather than shuffling all the way home. Did the second 12 in 01:35:54, ave pace 07:59 with ave HR 150.

Really happy with this better consistency of pacing compared to any of my previous long runs. The aim is to do these 24miles in 3 hours in a fortnight's time.

Garmin Details here

So after week 2 of my "hard" training month, my stats for the week are:
Miles: 57 (the most ever in my life)
Weight: 11st 0
Units of alcohol: only 5,
Injury count: everything hurting but all ok!

1 comment:

  1. Nice one, Paul - that looks much more controlled. Although I'm planning on doing 24 in 2 or 3 weeks and I think I'll be nearer 3:10 than 3!!

    ReplyDelete