Tuesday 2 February 2010

Shipley to Leeds 13m #1

So today was day 2 of my new February plan, and when my alarm went off at 6am I did seriously think about staying in bed.

But I was up and out after some porridge and tea, cycling down to the station to catch the 650 to Shipley.

It was still dark at that time, and even when I got off the train at Shipley daybreak was only just appearing.

My plan was to to try for a 3 mile warm-up and then 10 (or as many as possible) miles at marathon pace (MP). After my easy 3 miles, I had a short stop (ahem), and then set off at 6.50 pace. The conditions underfoot on the canal towpath are not ideal - either uneven and rocky or slimy and muddy. I managed 4 at MP before deciding that I wasn't going to continue at that pace and easing off. I did 1 mile easier, then another faster (about 6.30), I then slowed again for 2 and then a further 0.5 mile at pace before a few miles warm down.

All in all it was a good session, and my plan is to continue with this session once a week. It was a "toughening" session too - cold, wet, lonely, dark - but one to focus on the what,why and how's of life.

Garmin details here, but splits summary as follows (efforts in bold):
1. 3.8 miles, pace: 7:46, ave HR: 144
2. 4 miles, pace: 6:49, ave HR: 163
3. 1 mile, pace: 7:54, ave HR: 155
4. 1 miles, pace: 6:27, ave HR: 168
5. 2 miles, pace: 8:23, ave HR: 153
6. 0.5 miles, pace: 6:45, ave HR: 164
7. 0.75 miles, pace: 8:08, ave HR: 154

1 comment:

  1. That's a really good session, Paul - nice one. Rather you than me at that time of the morning, mind...

    ReplyDelete