Tuesday 9 February 2010

Shipley - Leeds #2

Failed to run yesterday as a long day at work prohibited me getting the opportunity. This perhaps wasn't a bad thing as I have some key sessions coming up this week and with my knee worries an extra day's rest was called for.

So this morning was the second of my 13 mile midweek runs from Shipley to Leeds on the way into work.

When my alarm awoke me at 6.05, and I looked out see a dark, cold and windy morning, I did think for a moment about getting back into my warm bed. But I decided it was a session I needed to do.

So after a bike ride down to the station, I hopped on the train, getting off at Shipley at about 7.15.

I'd modified my iPod playlist after last week's run - this time giving it a little more thought. The plan was to start with some melancholic wistful favourites to bring some focus to proceedings. So an eclectic mix of The Pogues, Kanye West and Vivaldi (Winter from the 4 seasons) set me off at a steady pace.

I then had Oasis "Don't look back in anger" to catapult me from the downbeat and kick start my efforts.

I had good solid block of dance anthems and I "locked and loaded" a good marathon pace and stayed with it.

I wasn't watching the Garmin too much but whenever I caught a glimpse of the pace it was 6.xx so felt I was going well.

I was now enjoying a glorious sunrise and the Stone Roses, more Oasis, and some other anthemic rock tunes saw me through the back half of the run.
I eased off a little for the last few miles, and overall for the 13.1 route I completed in 1 hr 31min. This would have been a PB a few years ago so felt really happy with that. Both knee and groin had no soreness, so all in all, probably my best training session for a while.

Mile splits:
8.11
7.17
6.48
6.40
6.39
6.53
6.47
6.43
6.52
6.44
6.42
7.10
7.03

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant session, Paul - those splits are really consistent. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete